Friday, November 25, 2011

Control Freaks

The story of the rich young ruler in Mark 10:16-22 is a story of control.  Ultimately, he was willing to obey the commands of God as far as he controlled them.  Jesus was pleased with his willingness to keep the commands, but found that this man had one flaw:  A lack of complete surrender to God and faith in His competence to control all things, including financial provision for him if he would follow Jesus.


When we read the words, "he went away sad, because he had great wealth," we tend to be judgmental of the man for turning away from Jesus.  But when it comes to issues of control, how often have we done the same thing? 


"One thing you lack,..." Jesus says.  What is it for you?


"Give me control of your future; your problems; your family; your finances; your actions; your will?"  What is it you keep back from Him?  Are you on the threshold of walking away sadly because you trust yourself more than God when it comes to one of these issues?  Are you unwilling to give any one of these areas over to His control?


Which area is the biggest challenge for you?  Why?  What are you afraid will happen if you give up control?  Is Jesus really Lord of your life if you don't surrender this area to Him?  Will you surrender, or walk away, sadly?

1 comment:

Janet O said...

I used to think the answer of this question would be my children. When they were young I occasionally would think I had control in their lives... nap time, meal time, what they wore, etc... As they have become adults it has become increasingly obvious that I have very little control and never really did. No doubt I had/have responsibility and influence, but not control. Still, even with this knowledge, I struggle with giving them back over to Him and with the prayer of "whatever it takes, Lord" in their lives. I find myself adding the caveat "but please protect them emotionally and physically." I know that his power is made perfect in our weakness and I know that my deepest growth has occurred in my times of most desperate physical and emotional pain, but I still want to put a bubble around each one of them as they maneuver this world.
The other day I asked George the question, "Why do you think God makes us love our children so much?" and the quick answer from both of us was "to give us a glimpse of His love for us."
Anyway, I want to say I could be like Abraham and be willing to sacrifice my son... but I'd be lying.