Saturday, April 21, 2012

Faith is Being Certain

Ask yourself this question:  "Am I convinced that God will answer my prayers?"  Being convinced leaves no room for doubt.  I'm not convinced if I am 99% sure.  I am not confident if I think it might not happen.

Faith is being sure of what we hope for; certain of what we do not see (Heb. 11:1).  If you have doubt, then you are working from a potsition of "hope" instead of "faith".  Hope leaves room for the possibility that your prayer may not have been heard.  "I hope God hears me."  That is how most of us pray, I believe. 

It is beyond our ability to be "doubtless".  We are human and we are flawed.  We require the Holy Spirit of God, Himself, to help us believe and not doubt.  We have to choose to seek Him and His righteousness.  Sound familiar?

Read Matthew 6:33:

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

Have you ever considered that our faith grows when we actively seek Him? 

Makes sense...the more you know Him, the more you know what He is capable of, the more you will trust and believe in His power and willingness to answer prayer.

How is your faith?  What are you actively doing to seek God and His righteousness?  Are you a person of FAITH, or simply someone who HOPES?  According to James 5:15:

"The prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well."  May God empower all of us to truly be convinced that He hears us and wants to change our circumstances.

1 comment:

Janie Walls said...

I must admit that Kris's death shook my faith. I was sure God would heal him. I knew that a miracle, against all odds, would not only happen but that it would be a source of faith for others.

When he died, I was left feeling...like what's wrong with my faith? What's wrong with me? When other people pray for healing and are healed... is their faith better than mine?

In the midst of all the pain and grief and horrible-ness, you said something to me, Ryan, that you probably don't even remember. Your simple statement was, "God has healed Kris." You were right, of course. It takes time and some healing to come to that realization. I remember my precious Mandy, who was overcome with grief herself, saying to me, "Kris beat cancer. The tumor is lying rotting in the ground right now and Kris is in paradise." Such a wise child of mine.

So just maybe my faith was not flawed. Maybe I was just a little arrogant thinking my plan was better than God's plan. Happens a lot. :)

I love you, Ryan. Thank you for all you've done for us!
Janie